Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A blank canvas

You might remember in my last post I mentioned I was about to start on a commission for a lovely client? Well, I thought this might be the perfect time to share a little of how I go about painting a commissioned work - before I forget all about taking pics along the way.


here she is...a nice (big) blank canvas

My lovely client, H, spoke to me about creating a painting for a large wall in her beautifully renovated Queenslander. If possible, I like to visit the client on-site - that way, I can get a feel for the space, the light, and the bones of the room itself. This painting will make a real statement - at 3m x 1.5m, it's a large piece, and will be on view from the minute you walk in the front door.





We then had a chat about her ideas, what colours she'd like included - and just as importantly, any she definitely didn't want. She has a great mix of traditional and modern in her home, as she's retained the original charm and character of her Queenslander, but she's also included some clean, modern elements too. To complement the original VJ walls, she chose a traditional, full-blown floral curtain:





..and picked up the olive green from the pattern, using it as an accent wall colour in the central hall, and also for the glass splashback in the kitchen. Elsewhere is a natural white, keeping things nice and airy.


So, after discussing the options, we decided on a modern abstract design, incorporating the raspberry, red/pink and olive green from her curtains, as well as some complimentary tones. Once that was sorted, I sent through a series of mock-ups of my ideas, to make sure we were on the same page, and also to provide a visual of what I'm thinking. I've found this really helps both me and the client - I'm a really visual person, but I realise not everyone works that way. By doing so, it really helps to iron out any misunderstandings before we're too far down the track.


So, that's enough from me - I have painting to do. I'll post more pics once the piece is all signed, sealed and delivered. Can't wait to share the finished painting with you all - and I have to say, it's a lot of fun to be working on such a large scale piece again. Supersizing isn't always a bad thing you know :)

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading about the artist's process Kerry and can't wait to see the finished product...perhaps 'in situ'?

    Happy day Lovely!
    xx Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's one big canvas. I can't wait to see how it turns out and what the process is. Keep that camera handy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the finished product Kerri. It is huge...love the colours..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky lady Ms. H is to be working with you and to have her very own custom work by YOU!!! I love your process!! Thanks for sharing, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was very interesting to read about the process you go through with your clients. Can't wait to see what you come up with and what it ultimately looks like in the space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Kerri- i love that you are so undaunted and have such wonderful enthusiasm for your projects...

    this is a big canvas- and you just leap in that fresh and ready- confidence flying...one very lucky happy client will be at the other end- can't wait to see what you create!

    Melissa- Miss Sew & So
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be a very interesting group of posts. I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress and end result.
    Ps love the curtain fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you are doing a large painting Kerri and I can't wait to see it. Make sure you remember to post the finished product. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the finished product - lovely inspiration and all the wonderful white painted timber, the perfect backdrop. I'm sure it will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing the finished result - the colour palette sounds gorgeous!
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see what you create! Mimi xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see how it looks when it's all done! I'm stressing over what to do over my sofa in my living room, with 20-foot vaulted ceilings, so I'm excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails